Page in work
Last update: 10. June 2022
Start · Rounds · Hit · Defense
- There are lot of different horse race games out there... hundreds and more. Printed game boards with pieces and tiny horses, fences and also game simulations for PCs and more.
- You can also find endless commercial and personal variations of pen & dice games for horse races on discussion boards and other websites.
- On of the best and also inspiration for my own game is Top of the stretch by Lon Whitehead, which is still available to buy and my personal favorite.
- But still I wanted to have full race and so that you can see the progress of each horse and always have a visual imagination, where on the track it is and the position, but without a printed board or drawings.
- So this is the reason, why I created my "Thoroughbred Time" racing game, where you just need dices, some provided charts, some paper with squares to note the results, a pen and very simple number calculations, that everybody can calculate in the head, so that - again - everybody can play it.
- If you want, you can also play it on a board (printed or just draw the course with the pen) for better imagination.
- Because of licenses and trademark challenges, I use randomized horse names & values and fictitious tracks and conditions. This is a pity and somehow it would be nice, to have a game foundation, based on real horses and races, but I decided to create my own race series and to avoid legal issues with this approach.
- As I mentioned on some pages, I want to bring in some additional values like specific injuries and also more tracks with different field lengths and impacts to the race very soon.
- I also plan to create different seasons and add a specific amount of game results as kind of experience points to the horses, which have an impact to values like [B] Break out and [P] Power.
- I decided, that the standard length of a track is between 60~100 fields (6-10 furlongs), because if you roll the dices for every of the 12 horses, it already take a while, to cross the finish line. But I will create some additional 12~18 furlong races with fences and adapted scorecards soon too.
- Some sharp minded people will have the opinion "Why do you need to adjust/calculate the horse, track and weather conditions during the race, you can also do that at the end or begin of the race already and sum the values up". Sure, that's true, but it's also a game for personal fun and to enjoy the development and surprises during the race - that's the only reason behind it. And to have a good time for some minutes aside the daily hamster life.
- By the way, I also dropped the Jockey part for now, because I'm not so interested in the human impact, but maybe it will follow again later.
- At the moment there is also no bet part included, because I don't like the connect to gambling for money and have no plans to include that for now.
- Done: I also want to adjust the field length to "furlongs" (the length value for horse races). Maybe 10 fields are 1 furlong, but let's see.
Feedback & contact
- For any feedback, critique, additional ideas and more, just let me know here in the comments (english/german): Blog article
Bearbeiten · Historie · Letzte Änderungen
· Text: Emanuel Sprosec Ⓒ 2022